Tuesday, August 18, 2009

More from Rex

Lots of chatter regarding Rex Ryan's comments in this morning's press conference regarding his outspokenness, especially when it comes to other teams and coaches. I was sitting in the room and my personal opinion was that he was talking in generalities about all of his opponents, using the Patriots as a jumping off point.

So, while I normally don't post transcripts, I am posting the entire answer to the question he was asked that started the furor so that you can decide for yourself:

On if he his comments will be different once games start…

I mean, I probably won’t call out Channing Crowder again. That’s one thing I probably won’t do because that really got blown out (of proportion). I’ll pick on a kicker or something (laughter). No (it’s not a concern). I’m going to be true to myself. I don’t mean to be disrespectful. I’m not trying to be disrespectful. When I said that about (Bill) Belichick, I’m just letting him know I’m not intimidated by him. He’s got the same position I have. We’re both head coaches in this league. He just happens to have a hell of a lot of Super Bowl rings. I don’t have a win and I appreciate you pointing that out (laughter). I understand that. We’re not going to just tiptoe our way through this thing. You don’t win and beat a Bill Belichick-coached team by tiptoeing up there. We’re going to be ourselves and I’m going to be myself and that’s just the way it is. How much more motivation are they going to get by putting a quote from Rex Ryan on their wall saying I believe in my football team and that I’m not going to be intimidated by a coach or anybody else? If that’s where you’re going to draw motivation from, hell, we’re probably going to kick your (butt) if that’s the case (laughter).

No comments:

Post a Comment