Thursday, July 2, 2009

Pace Suspended Four Games for Violating Policy on Performance-Enhancing Substances

Word just came that New York Jets linebacker Calvin Pace has been suspended for the first four games of the upcoming season for violating the NFL policy on performance enhancing substances.

Here is the statement from Pace:

"This is a situation that resulted from an over-the-counter dietary supplement that contained a substance that I did not know violated the League’s policy. I am responsible for what I put into my body and I should have paid closer attention to the League’s guidelines. I regret that this has happened and apologize to my teammates, the entire Jets organization as well as the fans. Hopefully, this does not distract from our ultimate goal of winning the Super Bowl."

And here is the statement from the Jets:

"We respect the League’s decision and look forward to Calvin’s return for our Monday Night game at Miami."

Pace's suspension officially begins on September 5th so he will be allowed to participate in all practices - meaning training camp - and all preseason games prior to that.

This was a mild surprise because Pace is both a smart player and a smart guy. We don't know yet where he got whatever it is he took, although it was clearly stated that it was something over the counter. I just got off the phone with another player on the team who theorized that Pace most likely took something on the recommendation of someone he trusted and just didn't check every single ingredient in whatever it was he took.

As soon as I find out more, I'll let you know.

Right now, third-year veteran Marques Murrell is listed as being behind Pace on the depth chart, but this is also an opportunity for Vernon Gholston to step up.

No comments:

Post a Comment